Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Firelight Talk Of The Kalahari Bushmen Helped Human Culture And Thought - Science News - redOrbit

Firelight Talk Of The Kalahari Bushmen Helped Human Culture And Thought - Science News - redOrbit

How have campfires enriched your cultural traditions?  I remember that long ago (I am so old, now!), as I was growing up, bonfires on the beach were a well-established practice.  Now, they are illegal.  Extending the light of the day after a glorious sunset was bonding experience for teenagers, families, groups.  I also remember going to Girls' Camp in the LDS church.  Our campfire was the connection that drew us into a circle of hopes, fears, and love. 
Camp Fire
 


Now, can you think of other lights that gather and warm your heart, that promote the exercise of imagination and the pull of gathering?  A fireplace is still a good thing in the homes of those who live in Northwest Florida.  Our homes get cold in the winter, believe it or not; some tease that we are really in Southeast Alabama.  Our winter was extremely cold.

Whether you have a fire pit or a fireplace or only hold candles--tell the tales of your ancestors, tell your stories.  Reflect the light of those who went before and draw closer to family members and friends in the cold months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...