Sunday, March 07, 2021

The Best We Can Do

 All researchers can do is to do the best that they can do to locate records and sources to verify the existence of their ancestors.  Then, you can look again at a later time; maybe you just missed a name or a fact.  And then there is this:

Students of genealogy, random folks who do good genealogical deeds, "fate" or whatever: Voila!  You make a discovery!  Or you see a random post at the facebook group you sponsor?  That is what happened today.

Unfortunately, my ancestors would have been the slave keepers in this document that is mentioned.  Although...recently another researcher verified that one of our lines did hold some interesting possibilities.  At any rate, a friend brought to my attention when she discovered a link that someone has been waiting for!

My friend wrote:

I came across a resource I didn't know about. 

 http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ajac/genealogy/slave100up.htm

Slaves' names do not appear in the census; this source is a list of slaves 100 years old and older and does give their names.
Maybe someone can use this.
 

 In the meantime, just keep looking for the answer to your puzzle!  Serendipity Happens!  Serendipity also rewards preparedness.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...