Friday, July 19, 2019

Exciting new tools for family history are being developed at BYU

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7hqNOQt-2AfeVEpDuc7sCA

Watch seminars/webinars about family history.  The Family History Labs at Brigham Young University are shining a bright light on research and those who are striving to find the key to unlocking our genealogical treasures!

Take this site, for example.  At first glance it might appear to be a parlor game kind of thing.  However, once you get past the glitz and gleam, you will see that pulling records from the dark is basic to genealogical research!  So, it isn't that you are wanting so much to make a connection with Elvis Presley, as you are interested in what types of records/documents/proofs can bring those beloved surnames to the forefront--beloved they are because they are precious to us--they are our history.


So, Pocahontas is my tenth great grandmother.  If that pops up as you work with Relative Finder, than hover over the pink (because she's a female) link, which takes you straight to FamilySearch.org.  It only works if you have previously loaded this site with what you know about your family tree.   Now, click on "View my Relationship".  My connection to Pocahontas is via the surname "Rolfe".  Sound familiar?  I see that my adoptive dad's genealogy, here, is the key.  So, maybe I'm not a "blood" relation, but because I work with my adoptive dad's family history, I will be sharing this connection with his biological relatives.

At FamilySearch, at the profile for Pocahontas, check out "Sources".  There are, not so surprisingly, 82 sources!  Who knew that history is replete with proof/evidence of associated individuals?!!

If you are interested on the types of records that lead to this conclusion, click on this link:  https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person/mp55422/pocahontas?search=sas&sText=pocahontas

No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...