Saturday, June 22, 2019

Websites for Genealogy #2



 Free websites for genealogists, part 2:  We don't talk a lot about YouTube.com as a genealogical source.  

There are tons of educational videos, most notable among them, Lisa Louisa Cooke (Genealogy Gems), whose presentations contains a plentiful amount of inspiration as well as content.  Ancestry.com also has a major presence at YouTube, primarily featuring Crista Cowan, The Barefoot Genealogist.  Crista likes to go barefoot and at a recent Rootstech.org appearance, she actually took her shoes off!

However, when you want "real" sources, with names, dates, and places, the best you can do at YouTube.com, is enter search terms like  "Clark Family Reunion".  or, if you have a famous ancestor like George Washington, you might enter "George Washington Family", you can actually watch a biography of his life and other such clips.  Historical events and characters have a great representation at YouTube.com!  

Another goodie from YouTube.com: Information about places!  I like this Virginia Counties Map site.  It was intended for children but I enjoyed it, too.  There are way too many map sites to list.  If you don't believe me, just enter a place!  Not sure all of them would be helpful to a genealogist but you will just have to find that out for yourselves!

So I decided to look for "timelines".  Again, there are a multitude of timelines!  Hint:  You are looking for "historic" timelines; I know because I was faced with way too many timelines that had nothing to do with history!  I recommend adding the word "genealogy" to the word "timeline" if you want some excellent ways to utilize timelines for family history purposes.

Stay tuned for more websites and genealogy, section #3!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...