Thursday, November 16, 2017

Findagrave New and Fairly Workable

I've had more time, this past week, to play a little more with Ancestry's Version of Findagrave
I'm the type that just dives right in, ignoring the tutorials, so my initial impression was so-so, probably because I had prepared poorly. The more effort you put into doing research, the more results you will get back.  Don't be lazy like me and just go looking without first reviewing what facts you've already accumulated on an individual.  Bring up your database or online tree in one screen.  Then search Findagrave or whatever site you choose. 



I do want to thank Ancestry.com for "rescuing" the Findagrave photos and database.  Upon reflection, I realized that we might not have any access if it weren't for that company.  

You see, the project had grown to mammoth proportions (never discount the spirit of volunteerism), and the creators weren't able to keep up with the costs in time and money, at some point.  

It takes money to support servers (big storage computers).  It takes people to support the management of the website.  Ask anyone who has been a webmaster and/or launched a website.  W-O-R-K calls for assistants and managers--the larger the project, the more likely you are to have to hire folks and pay for additional servers. 

Why I like the "new" Findagrave:
  • I can create my own personal virtual cemetery.  So far, I've created one each for my mother's folks, my biological father's relatives, and one more for my adoptive dad's kin.
  • I can edit more easily than ever, the information at the site of an individual's findagrave page.  For example, I can add dates and places.  
  • I can do other stuff, too, I suspect, just as soon as I continue exploring and looking at the tutorials!  I always want to know who took the pictures and generated the data.  That bank of volunteers are why we can't discount findagrave!  Their labors are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...