Monday, March 27, 2017

How to find resources (genealogically helpful resources) for Locations aka "Places"

There is magic in the air!  You just have to find it.  Just as Worldcat.org is a magnificent place to find the holdings of libraries far and near, so is the FamilySearch Wiki a wonderful key to the world of resources for locations. 



Mathew Bishop lived most of his adult life in Marion County, Alabama.  Because he was born in 1807 in Spartanburg, South Carolina, the records for his forefathers [and mothers] are a bit of a mystery, right now.

I decided to learn as much as I could about Marion County and the Bishop family in Marion County and hope that it will lead me back to some clues for his genealogy in South Carolina.  There are several ways of going about that quest but FamilySearch Wiki is a good beginning.

I know I've talked about this before, but I truly appreciate the function of the Wiki at FS.  And I challenge you to pick a place of significance for your ancestors and put it into the search box and see what links you can lean upon to find out more.

Of course, you will also want to check Google and WorldCat and anything else you can think of, but at FamilySearch, you are apt to get not only links but also information relevant to the topic, relevant to your research. It's in the menu under "SEARCH".

No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...