Monday, July 28, 2014

Summer Explorations

  • BillionGraves Q&A  I am not yet a part of the Billion Graves project; but I love what they are doing to ease my path in locating interments.  Due to the immense learning curve standing between me and GPS photograpy skills, I have been slow to get on board!  So what is BG and what are they doing that hasn't been done before?  This website offeres Frequently-Asked-Questions in the "Q and A" format so that we can all be in the know. 

What websites and resources do you use to find or locate your ancestor's graves?  Here are some of the ones I've utilized:
  1. http://Interment.net
  2. Family Search Catalog:  Microfilms, Books, locality resources, etc.
  3. FamilySearch Search Your Ancestor!
  4. Find-A-Grave
  5. USGenWeb
  6. Publications of genealogical societies which are housed in libraries: Check Library of Congress and WorldCat or the library catalogs of individual repositories.
  7. Periodicals (See PERSI), available at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana, as well as at some other locations (Your local library may have Heritage Quest online).  Read more about Heritage Quest at Dick Eastman's Encyclopedia.
  8. Newspaper Obituaries:  Wherever you can find digitized or archived newspapers and obituaries, is where you must go.  I would recommend you look at Cyndislist because this is a comprehensive category that may pop up in a number of places.
Other ideas?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...