Sunday, February 17, 2019

Old and New or Just Some Standard Places you Can Find Genealogy Internet Links

Search by location, location, location.  Google Maps, Google Earth; Old Maps, etc.  Where did your ancestor live?  I was recently reminded that one of my ancestral relatives was born in Mississippi.  I know that some of those relatives had migrated to Alabama.  Imagine my surprise when I just found some of them in Arkansas!  Why did your ancestor live where he lived?  What factors could cause them to move? 


Maybe, sometimes when people marry, they move to be closer to the relatives (extended family) on the wife's side of the family.  Or, an uncle on the husband's side writes and says "come here"...the water's fine and I can grow anything I want.  Know the counties that surround the county where you found your great grandfather.  Know the boundaries of state lines.  Find your ancestor in a census and find out the "geography" of that county during that time period.  That knowledge will help you understand so much about your ancestral family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When I was Young! Tennis Interview

  I may have been a little bit precocious at the age of 15 or 16.  But I didn't let that stop me!   While Northwest Florida might have b...